So last Friday was Earth Day, and slowly but surely, lots of cosmetic companies, big and small, have been embracing more natural and organic formulations. So for you earth-conscious beauties out there, here are a few brands to look out for:
- Oyin Handmade – probably my favourite, natural haircare line for women with curly, kinky or coily hair. I cannot live without the Burnt Sugar Pomade. Really. The Juices are also really good too! Still have to try their new Hair Dew.
- Karen’s Body Beautiful – Another great line based out of my old neighbourhood of Fort Greene Brooklyn. The Sweet Ambrosia is the go-to product. But I am really excited for all the new products that will be coming out this year.
- Qhemet Biologics – I think that their Amla and Olive Heavy Cream is amazing! It’s also their top seller.
- Kinky Curly – A very popular brand with products like Knot Today (my staple leave-in conditioner) and the Curling Custard (which I have YET to try, but summer is coming up so….).
- Anita Grant – love from across the pond!!! And now they have a U.S. distributor – Hairrogant. And right now they actually have a sale on the top 5 selling AG products! I would recommend the babassu shampoo bars and the Rhassoul Deep Condish.
- Aubrey Organics– available at Whole Foods and other retailers, I use their GPB conditioner as a protein conditioner and the Honeysuckle Rose conditioner as a deep moisturizer.
- SheaMoisture – Love their Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo and their body butters! Available at Target and Walgreens.
- Sephora – This company has an entire section dedicated to all the natural/organic skincare and haircare lines.
- skynICELAND – I have been using their Glacial Face Wash and Pure Cloud Cleanser for years and I love it. Very soothing and great for dry skin.
- tarte cosmetics – an all natural makeup line without any harsh ingredients and they have become wildly popular over the years. I need to try their lights, camera, lashes mascara. Right now they have 25% off thru April 25 with the code EARTHDAY2011.
- Urban Decay – I just started using more of their products within the recent past and will be getting a lot more soon!! Love the Naked Palette (a must-have!!!!!) and the cult fave Primer Potion. There is actually a 4-pc primer set that comes in squeeze tubes that I must have!!!
- Korres – a line out of Greece. Known for their lip butters and their all-natural face primers.
- Cozette & EcoTools – shout-out to the vegan brush lines. Synthetic brushes have come a LONG way! They are now high-quality, super soft and a must for creamy, emollient products.
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics – Lip tars – that’s all I’m gonna say….
- Zoya – was introduced to this line a few years ago thru their Earth Day Polish Exchange and they have continued this event every year. You can turn in your old, toxic nail polish from any brand for brand new 4-Free, vegan polish from Zoya. This line is even safe for pregnant ladies to use! They have over 300 colours to choose from so you must be able to find something you like. Just have pay $4.00 for each polish you exchange. For all the details, check out this link! Here are some swatches that I got from last year’s exchange! Don’t forget to check out Remove+, their nail polish remover, as it’s the best that I have ever tried!
- Ginger+Liz – another toxin-free, vegan-friendly line, started by two wonderful ladies. I love the vibe of the brand, hip but sophisticated at the same time. Check out my review here.