Hey! So, I am OBSESSED with Scandal. I am OBSESSED with Scandal!!! I don’t think that there has been a TV show that literally affects me physically, emotionally. I live for this show. I plan my week around Scandal. And I love how they style OP! It’s amazing to see a strong, amazing, brilliant, successful woman who dresses so well! I want EVERYTHING in that closet! I am still crushing on a few of those dresses and that white coat she always wears. We can have both, intelligence and a great sense of style! Yes I am a gladiator! I’ve been a fan of Kerry Washington for a long time and I love that she’s getting what’s due to her. KW will always be Olivia Pope to me! Tony Goldwyn will always be the playa Prez Fitzgerald Grant III! And for the record, I ship Olitz all day long! Olitz for life! So I pretty much died last week when Entertainment Weekly hit the newstands! LOVED it! Loved it! I had to recreate the look on Kerry Washington.
But before that……
If you haven’t seen Episode 218, you might want to skip to the next section…
So uhm…how insane is this Jake/Olivia/Fitz storyline! What’s Jake’s real situation? Who’s the mole? Who’s the random black dude? And I’m going to need Shonda and dem to stop messing with Huck!! I’m over seeing him being so tortured! 🙁 And these 3 week hiatuses? I see you ABC….I see you…I don’t know how I’m going to survive the next episodes. I am still exhausted from Episode 218. I usually am physically and emotionally drained after each episodes and my poor TV is tired of being screamed at. I hear they are going to be gut –wrenching! Lawd….I can’t wait to see Episode 220, the episode directed by Tony Goldwyn (YUM!)
***END OF SPOILER***
So back to the tutorial!
Hot right??!! I loved this super sultry bronzed smoky eye look. And the full-on lashes made the look for me. Perfected skin, nude shimmery lips, corally cheeks. I did something that I don’t usually do, I added lower false lashes.
So on to the look!
- Moisturize skin and add primer if needed, especially if you have oily skin.
- On the eyelids, I applied Ruby Kisses Eye Shadow Magic Primer
- Then used a cool shimmery, dark bronze cream eyeshadow all over the upper and lower lid. Here it was Mally Evercolor Shadow Stick in Brown.
- Apply a light shimmery bronze eye shadow, just above the crease, using a soft blending brush like M.A.C. #239 or Sigma E25. Make sure to blend very well! I used M.A.C.’s Cocomotion Pigment
- Then I used the dark, shimmery reddish brown eye shadow from the M.A.C. Mineralize Eye Shadow Trio in Inter-View on the inner and outer third of the upper eyelid. Also apply in the entire crease and blended into the light bronze colour. Do not apply this colour to the centre of the eyelid. Use the same blending brush, # 239 or E25. A similar colour to try is Urban Decay Darkhorse, from the original Naked Palette.
- Next for the entire lower lashline, I used a brownish golden shimmer, Ambient from the Smashbox Photo Op Eye Shadow Trio in Quick Take. I applied using a pencil brush, Royal & Langnickel Revolution BX-95 brush. M.A.C. #219 or Sigma P86 work great too. I applied a thick layer, i.e. extended past the edge of my lower lashes.
- For the centre of the eyelid, I saw that Kerry’s lid was highlighted and appeared to be bright and shimmery. I used the technique of foiling, which is using a dampened pigment over another shadow, which gives a gilded, shiny effect. I used a synthetic, flat brush, M.A.C.’s water-based Mixing Medium to foil and M.A.C.’s Pigment in Museum Bronze, which is a rich, metallic reddish-broze. Pat onto the mid lid, up to the crease.
- Use a matte black eye shadow, with a small brush, along the upper and lower lashlines and blend very well into the bronze. I used MAC’s Carbon eye shadow. Blend and blend and blend the colours, one into to the other so that the transitions are smooth. I also added a matte reddish brown eye shadow into and above the crease to intensify the colours.
- Line the upper lashline with Wet n Wild’s Mega Eyes Crème Eyeliner (a black, matte cream liner) and an angled brush, like M.A.C.’s #266. I did not create a winged look. I just lined the lid. I also applied it to the entire lower waterline.
- To intensify the lower lashline, I added Givenchy’s Magic Kajal, which is a very creamy, shiny jet black pencil eyeliner.
- On my eyebrows, I filled them in with a brow powder and angled brush. I used Senna Cosmetics Brow Shaper Duo in Ebony Duo and the Brow 1 brush/spoolie duo. In the look, Kerry’s brows are quite full and shaped.
- And to the lashes! The fullness of the lashes sexified the look. I added both top and bottom lashes. But before that, I applied a coat of mascara and I used Sephora’s Outrageous Volume mascara. On the upper lashes I applied Ardell #110 and on the lower lashes, I used Red Cherry #502
- For the skin, I wanted an even but still natural finish and I used Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Foundation in shade #178 and I applied it with the Mehron Face Smoothie blender sponge, which gives an amazing, airbrush-like finish.
- I highlighted my face (under the eyes, down the nose, top of the cheekbone) by mixing the Make Up For Ever 12 Flash Color Case in Coral and Graftobian Cosmetics HD Glamour Crème in Deep Xanthe. The coral colour brightens skin and also neutralizes under eye circles and the Deep Xanthe is a few shades lighter than my foundation colour. I also used the Face Smoothie to blend it all in.
- To contour and make my cheekbones pop, I used the Make Up For Ever 12 Flash Color Case in Brown, which is a deep chocolate brown and blended into the hollows of my cheeks with the Face Smoothie.
- For cheek colour, Kerry’s blush was not super bright and a bit cool toned, so I used Becca Cosmetics Beach Tint in which is a pinkish peach and that blends in perfectly with the skin and like it’s coming from within. I applied with my fingers and further blended with the Face Smoothie.
- Kerry cheekbones were super highlighted (uhm she has amazing bone structure, so some of that is just natural, but they were further emphasized). It appeared to be quite pale so I used the NARS Multipe in Orgasm, which is peachy pink with a gold and white pearlised shimmer.
- Finally on the lip, she wore a pale, shimmery nude so I applied NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in London, which is a matte peachy nude and then I applied Jouer Cosmetics Lip Gloss in Mimosa, which is a light peach gloss with gold shimmer.
That’s it for the makeup! Really quickly, I modified the hair, because I had a twist out. I used Kinky Curly Knot Today as a leave-in conditioner, Oyin Handmade Whipped Pudding and for extra shine and hold I used Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade and some coconut oil to unravel. The hairstyle is super simple and I just pinned the centre panel back. I loved this look!
Gladiators, I’ll be on Twitter, Thursday nights at 10! #ScandalParty