One post…two reviews!
So, I’m going to review the Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes and the Lancôme Doll Lashes. I decided to review these two as they both had similar, unique brushes and I wanted to see if one could be used as a dupe for the other.
First the individual reviews.
In the red corner…Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes (LOL)!!!
So the iconic pink and green mascara got a 21st century upgrade. For the record, I hate strongly dislike the original. I just don’t get the hype! Great Lash did nothing for me and it’s too barely there for my liking. I decided to try out LOL because I hoped for something different. The first thing that I noticed is that the brush is very different.
This brush is short and made with plastic bristles, which I like because they allow you to get really close to the base of the lashes and they also minimize clumping. The other noticeable change it the brush shape. It has a teardrop shape with the bristles getting shorter towards the tip. The packaging remains pretty much the same, pink container and green handle. I chose the darkest shade of Blackest Black and it is very dark, glossy, and not too thick.
Here’s what it looked like:
What I liked…
- I liked this brush. The plastic brush gives a really good chance to coat each lash, making lengthening easier. The bristles get longer down the length of the brush so that more product is placed on the outer lashes, giving that doll-like effect.
- The mascara formula is pretty good as well. I got a little bit of flaking towards the end of the day but nothing too bad.
- It gave my lashes a good amount of volume and lengthening., but nothing too dramatic.
What I had issues with…
- The brush. Yes I know I said I liked it but I think the shape of the brush is both a blessing and a curse. Because the unique shape, it works well with my right hand (I’m right-handed), applying more product to my outer lashes, but it is a little tricky to use on the left eye. Since I am not ambidextrous, using this wand in my left hand required more work and less control. I got more clumping on that eyelash.
- The large bulb at the end of the wand. When you pull the wand out of the tube, there is a large clump of mascara that inevitably ends up on your inner lashes. So you have to make sure and wipe the wand with some tissue before using.
Overall, this is a solid, decent mascara. Considering my feelings of the original, I was pleasantly surprised! It’s approximately US$5.00 and available everywhere. Any pharmacy that sells Maybelline.
And in the blue corner…Lancôme Hypnôse Doll Lashes Mascara!
Another addition to the Lancôme mascara line. Similar black, glossy, curvy packaging with a floral motif on the side. I have yet to meet a Lancôme mascara that I did not like, so I expected this to perform well. Looking at the wand, it had a very similar shape to the Maybelline LOL, getting shorter towards to tip.
This brush on the other hand, is made of the traditional materials. The brush is also densely packed so that it’s good for volumizing.
Here’s what it looked like:
What I liked…
- The formula. Again very smooth and dark. This is actually smoother and better than the LOL formula. I did not get any flaking.
- The larger, better shaped brush. The brush is about twice the size of the LOL, which I prefer because I could coat all the lashes in one swipe instead of having to do inner and outer lashes separately. I also like how the brush tapers to a smaller tip. I don’t get that excessive clumping at the tip.
What I did not like…
- The price. This is about US$22 while LOL is $5. Nuff said.
- Where to find it. This is not found in drug stores or pharmacies, but it is found in specialty stores in the US: Sephora, Macys and online as well.
- The shape of the brush. This is the same issue that I had with Maybelline’s Great Lash Lots of Lashes. It’s harder to use on one of your eyelashes.
And here is a side-by-side comparison of the brushes.
Overall, these are both really good mascaras. I would say the Doll Lashes has a slight edge over LOL with the better formula and better wand. BUT, LOL is great for everyday. It defines the lashes without drama. If you are looking for more drama then get the Doll Lashes from Lancôme.
Have you tried these?