One of the hardest things to do is to find the perfect red. A lot of women of colour avoid the most coveted lip colour of all time. Red is the colour of the season and sultry glamour is back! Various textures and finishes, it doesn’t matter. Red is it!!! Truth be told, I had to make a conscious decision to start buying reds. It is really a matter of trial and error to find reds that work with your skintone and personality and the engineer in me loves this!!!
So here are some the reds that I have collected recently. And for the record, I don’t know where I have been but M.A.C.’s Ruby Woo bessssssss!!!!! I don’t know what they sprinkle on that lipstick, and it’s a matte too!! It is a gorgeous, stunning true red and the finish/texture of the lipstick also makes it unique! No one looks bad in this one. I think this is as close to a sure bet as you can get! If you would like more detailed swatches/info on a particular colour, let me know. I will be doing a review on the NARS items. Check out my review on the NYX Lip Cremes here. I’m NW45 with red undertones but my arm is a little lighter.
From left to right:
- Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick in Moulin Rouge #43 – creamy, neutral, bright red. Looks good on light and dark skintones
- NARS Pure Matte Lipstick in Vesuvio – matte lipstick. Looks shiny but it is not, takes a little time to dry down
- NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl – Gorgeous red! Another fave of mine and another universal red, everyone looks good in this one!! Neutral, drier texture than Vesuvio
- Stila Long Wear Liquid Lip Color in Fiery – another great color! Looks like a lipgloss that dries down to a matte texture and is opaque. Neutral, bright red
- M.A.C. Matte Lipstick in Russian Red – Matte red that reads orange on me. Dry but not as dry as Fiery. Probably would work better on ladies with more yellow in their skintones (Asian, Indian, Arabic)
- M.A.C. Retro Matte Lipstick in Ruby Woo – BEST RED EVER! Nuff said….
- NYX Lip Smacking Lipstick in Chaos # 511 – darker red, very glossy finish, great price, prone to smearing
- NYX Soft Matte Lip Creme in Amsterdam – matte, strawberry red, lighter in colour
- NYX Soft Matte Lip Creme in Monte Carlo – matte, deep burgundy red, very nice colour
- Illamasqua Intense Lipgloss in Succubus – blood red gloss
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Strutter – intense brownish red
What are your favourite reds???? What you are wearing for the fall???
[…] posts: More red lipstick ideas for women of […]
[…] should get!!! Red lips are classic but bold and traffic-stopping at the same time. I wrote a post earlier with some […]
*drools at the different reds*
Girl, you KNOW how I feel about reds, LOL…and you know which are my favs. Thanks so much for the swatches. Even though I have quite a few (ok, several) reds…I still plan on getting more. Monte Carlo and Dragon Girl look beautiful!
Yes girl! Working on that red collection! I know I couldn’t possibly wear them all ! but they look amazing! Need to get that red from OCC!! Soooooonnn!
Yes, I must hit up OCC and get that beautiful red!!!
I wore Monte Carlo all day and people loved it! Deep wine matte!
Girl, now you got me wanting that Monte Carlo!
Yaz! Thanks a lot! I think Jungle Red is still around from NARS. Chanel also has a liquid lip colour that is very popular, I think its called Dragon Red. I’ll find out. I think red is well on its way to become the new neutral. It’s all over the runways and continues to be hot from spring, summer to fall and winter. Maybe try NARS Dragon Girl, it’s pretty neutral. Besos!
thanks for the article, Neri….. I have 2 favorites both old; one discontinued and the other probably still around – YSL’s Rouge Definition #3 and Nars’ Jungle red — although Jungle red only suits me when Im in my original Asiatic yellow skintone; whereas YSL’s suit me both in my original color (lol) and during my darkest, deepest tans…. I cant wait to have red become the new Leopard print – that which is partially considered neutral and can be worn year round….. love reading you!!!!