I’ve wanted to do an Indian-inspired look for a long time now. Growing up in Trinidad & Tobago, I was accustomed celebrating customs and religious beliefs of the different ethnic groups. Trinis would not bat an eyelid at attending Eid events or going over by your neighbor to parang dey house for Christmas. We have accepted and celebrated each others cultures and food, becoming a very multi-ethnic society.
I bought the November 2010 Vogue India issue with Priyanka Chopra on the cover and fell in love with this look!
As a matter of fact, I fell in love with the entire Sari issue. Such vivid colours and opulence!!! Something that I don’t usually see reading US magazines. I occasionally will buy an international magazine for a different kind of inspiration. In this issue, for the traditional Hindu ceremony, the bride wore a stunning ruby red and gold sari paired with smokey red and black eye makeup with deep red lips!! This look will also be great for a Divali celebration, lighting deyas and eating your favourite mithai.
Here’s my version.
Since the eyes and the lips are bold, there was minimal cheek colour, just some light contouring and highlighting.
- UDPP – Applied to entire eyelid using ring finger
- BECCA Eye Tint in Paracus – all over eyelid and browbone using ring finger
- M.A.C. Pigment in Sweet Sienna (a dusty, silvery taupe with shimmer) – mixed with M.A.C. water-based Mixing Medium and applied to the entire eyelid to the crease. The mixing medium foils the pigment making it apply with an intense metallic finish. Used an all-over blending brush from Sephora.
- M.A.C. MES in Lovestone and MUFE # 56 – to create a burgundy shade, applied just above the crease, from the inner crease to past the outer crease, using a soft fluffy brush like M.A.C.’s #224
- M.A.C. Greasepaint Stick (GPS) in Black – line the upper lashline and wing out towards the end of the eye brow. Also line the entire lower lashline until it joins the upper line.
- Givenchy Magic Kajal in Black – apply on top of the GPS
- M.A.C. Eye Shadow in Carbon – applied over the eye pencil and smudge the liner. Also deepen the outer third of the eyelid. Also apply this to the entire lower eyelid to create a smudged-out look.
- M.A.C. Superslick Liquid Eye Liner in On The Hunt – Line the upper lashline
- L’Oreal Volume Collagene mascara – Apply to upper and lower lashes
- BECCA Luminous Skin Colour Tinted Moisturizer in Mink – Applied to dry areas of face, cheeks, forehead, chin with fingers (this is discontinued but use whatever foundation works for your skintone and skin type.
- BECCA Beach Tint in Peach – Apply to cheeks with fingers
- Bobbi Brown Shimmer Blush in Flame – brick red with gold shimmer – Applied lightly to cheeks using fluffy blush brush
- Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Bronze – white highlighter applied to the top of the cheekbones, using the same fluffy brush
- NYX Lip Liner Pencil in Deep Red – line and slightly fill in the lips
- M.A.C. Lip Pencil in Burgundy – over the NYX pencil to deepen the red colour
- MUFE Rouge Artist Intense in #43, Moulin Rouge – Carefully apply to lips and blot
- Illamasqua Intense Lipgloss in Succubus – Apply over lipstick to add extra shine!
I added a jewelled tikka, but you could adorn as you wish. You could also add false lashes for extra drama!
Hope you enjoyed!
If you like this post, make sure you sign up for my email newsletter by clicking HERE! Get the latest curated haircare/skincare news and see what beauty products that I loving at the moment!
[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]