So last night I went to the M.A.C. Store in SoHo as my first stop for Fashion’s Night Out. I must say that I think this was a great idea and I would not mind seeing it take place every year. It was great seeing people shopping, eating and having lots of fun! I’m sure that retailers made some extra money. Next to the M.A.C. store was the Rachel Roy pop-up store and there was a long line, with a velvet rope and everything!
Anyway, back to M.A.C. – The store had a constant flow of people going in and coming out. There were guys serving bottled Coca-Colas and Perrier, finger foods and homemade oreos! They also wore tight black M.A.C. t-shirts and smudgy, glossy black smoky eyes. Fabulous!!!! Performing Artist Janelle Monae was also there and she is absolutely the cutest!!!! First of all, she has this big personality in videos and magazines, but she’s tiny! She’s was rocking her signature, afro mohawk, pompadour hairstyle and the makeup?? FLAWLESSSSSSSS!!! I don’t even think she knows what a skin problem is. It was very simple – neutral lids, pronounced lashes, pale pink blush and lips, flawless foundation.
Sept. 10th also marked the launch of the Makeup in HD collection and a sneak preview of the Style Black collection.
First for the Makeup in HD collection. This is a basic collection that is supposed to help you look really flawless and polished. The new products were the 4 LE lipsticks. All the other products are part of the permanent collection – Face & Body Foundation, Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation – Loose and the 187 & 188 Duo Fibre brushes.
- Close to Real – pale, whitish pink
- High Def – light coral
- Sharp Focus – midtone brown plum
- Resolutely Red – deep brownish red
I am NW45 and of these colours, both Sharp Focus and Resolutely Red looked interesting to me. Especially Sharp Focus. It looked like a neutral plummy colour that was light but still dark enough for my skin without looking garish. It’s a great fall colour I think. Resolutely Red is not a bright red, there is enough brown to make it very wearable. Close to Real and High Def swatched with too much white in it for me. They would make me look ashy.
Now to the Style Black collection!!! This is one of the collections that people have been buzzing about for months now!!! Ever since last F/W ’09 Fashion Week. This is a black, but quite wearable collection.
- Black Knight – Jet black, creamy texture, can be applied sheer
- Midnight Media – matte black, mattene
- Night Violet – Deep blackened purple, mattene, repromoted from Mattene collection
This is a brand new lip gloss. Same packaging as the Dazzleglass with a brush applicator.
- Bling Black – Sheer black with gold shimmer
- Blackfire – Sheer black with pink purple shimmer
- Blackware – black with no shimmer
Mineralize Eye Shadows
- Cinderfella – Black with silver shimmer
- Young Punk – Black with red, burgundy shimmer
- Gilt by Association – Black with gold bronze shimmer
- Blue Flame – Black with dark blue shimmer
Intense Black – Black base with dark purple shimmer. Smudge and water resistant.
Rapidblack – True black (Permanent)
Smolder – Intense Black (Permanent)
- Nocturnelle – True black (Cream) (Permanent)
- Seriously Hip – Black with gold frost
- Baby Goth Girl – Black with burgundy frost
#214 – Short Shader Brush (Permanent)
Style Black – Face
- Volcanic Ash Exfoliator, 3.4 oz
For all skin types. Volcanic ash (in the form of mineral-rich clay), sugar crystals and natural enzymes combine to exfoliate and remove excess oils from the skin. (Description courtesy Specktra.net)
- Volcanic Ash Thermal Mask, 3.4 oz.
VATM contains natural volcanic ash to cleanse and treat the skin. The mineral-rich ash works with oat kernel flour to help absorb excess oil from the skin’s surface. A combo of natural oils (lavendar, sunflower, safflower seed and evening primrose) help lubricate the skin, leaving it feeling soft and moisturized. It helps to even out the skin’s texture and leaves the skin feeling smooth and perfected for makeup application. The unique formula glides effortlessly onto the skin, allowing ample playtime. The mask heats up on the skin when used with water and removes impurities from the surface, leaving skin looking radiant and fresh. Use 1-3 times a week. Derm-tested, non-acnegenic and for all skins. (Description courtesy Specktra.net)
Cream Colour Base
- Black – Creamy true black
- Bat Black – Burgundy black with pink pearl (Permanent, available at M.A.C. Pro)
All products are LE, unless otherwise stated.
- Grease Paintstick – this does not move!!!!!! It’s like the M.A.C. paint in a stick form. Beautiful creamy black with deep purple shimmer.
- Cinderfella MES – I love this!! It’s black and it’s silver. All four of these MES have a black base with coloured shimmer. In this one, you see the black and you see the silver shimmer. This would make an amazing winter smokey eye. I definitely have to do a look with this one.
- Guilt by Association – Another amazing colour. According to the MUA, this was super popular and it looks like a blackened gold.
- Both Volcanic Ash Exfoliators and Thermal Mask – These were brought out a few summers ago and people went gaga of these. They are back once again, so get them while you can.
- Glimmerglass in Blackfire and Bling Black – black base is really sheer (like the other Dazzleglasses) so it slightly darkens the lips then there is a burst of shimmer suspended on the lips
I also had the priviledge of meeting senior M.A.C. makeup artist Gordon Espinet!!! I could not believe it when I saw him – chillin’ in SoHo! It took all the courage in the world for me to walk up to him! He’s really friendly (like my fellow Trinis!) and we chatted a little about the Style Black collection, which they had previewed at the last Fashion Week and he mentioned that the Grease Paintstick was used to create those glossy black smokey eyes that everyone loves! And since it does not budge, it would make a great base.
This collection comes out on Sept. 24 – Jump on it…..and post what you would like or got in the comments!
Better pics to come!