That’s pretty much what I said when I heard that the International Makeup Artist Tradeshow (IMATS) was finally coming to NYC in 2011. In L.A. and Toronto, it is usually a must-go event and I was excited! I love going to these shows for a number of reasons,
- I get shop a lot of different makeup brands, especially those that are usually online only, at a discount.
- I get to meet fellow bloggers and vloggers that I ‘stalk’ on a daily basis
- And…I get to take classes taught by some of my favourite celebrity makeup masters.
So I attended last Sunday, which ended up being a great idea as I heard that it was just chaos on Saturday. I got to SoHo early so I was able to browse the booths with ease. Even though the show was hosted on multiple levels, there were less vendors than I expected. There were many of the most popular brands that were not there like M.A.C. and Make Up For Ever. I think that the organizers played it conservatively and limited the number of attendees and vendors.
I had a short shopping list and as soon as I get there, I headed to those specific booths. Here’s my mini haul!
- Graftobian Cosmetics HD Glamour Creme Super Palette in Warm – gets great reviews, multi-purpose, can be used as a full coverage foundation, tinted moisturizer or concealer. Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentre – one of the most recommended moisturizers for all skin types
- Stila Long Wear Liquid Lip Colour in Caprice (totally fell in love with this hot fuschia pink when I saw Ms. Bethany Townes rocking it!) and Fiery (ThisThatBeauty wears this like everyday!!)
- Stila Sparkle Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Starry – has not appeared in stores as yet and I FELL IN LOVE WITH THESE! OMG! I love liquid liners and the shimmer gave it great dimension. This one was my favourite but will be getting more very soon!
That’s it!! Small haul, I’m really just waiting for The Makeup Show next month!! Reviews on these products soon!
After shopping, I took two classes – one with Kevin James Bennett, who I adore as an artist,
and Valente Frazier, who has worked on the faces of Iman, Tyra Banks and Michelle Obama. His red carpet smokey eye was fierce! He gave me inspiration!
I sometimes think that makeup artists only do avant garde makeup, when they too do lots of simple, basic looks. The take-away for the day -Blend, blend, blend. This gives a flawless finish.
Finally here are some of the people that I met:
Blogger Bethany Townes, she IS the reason why I bought Caprice lipcolour!
Vlogger Tatiana of BeatFaceHoney. How stunning is this chick? And her face is beat! (in a good way :))
The ladies including Karen of Ameritrini
Erin from Scandalous Beauty!
Petrilude. He was so nice about me bothering him for a photo!
Celebrity makeup artist Stephanie Flor – what’s up!!
I had a wonderful time with Kia from Yummy411! We went to the Valente Frazier workshop together and even explored New York a little afterwards, which included a trip to Vosges! Yum! It was truly a pleasure!!! Link me the next time you are in the Big Apple.
If anyone else has pics with me, send them to noiretropicalbeauty(at)gmail.com
That’s it for now!
how much was the graftobian palette cost???? Please tell me!!!!!!!!
Abt US$60 I think!
I decided to google myself tonight and saw that you had put this amazing article up. Thanks for the shout out and I hope you are still loving your Caprice lip color 🙂
Hey Bethany!!!! Thanks for the visit!!!! Still loving Caprice!!!! ttyl!
Wow! Looks like you had an awesome time. I so need that Graftobian palette ASAP! Will you be attending the makeup show? If so see you there
I have not had a chance to use it yet. I’ll let you know how it goes. It’s has gotten great reviews!