There are tons of reviews and articles online about makeup application. What products to use, what brushes to buy, how to apply it. But what are you to do when you have come home, exhausted and need to take that makeup off? What do we use? Makeup removal should be your first step of your skincare routine. That leftover foundation will block or affect the efficacy of any serum, hydrator, antioxidant that you use. Nowadays, in the US, folks are using more and more long wearing, richly pigmented, heavy duty or waterproof makeup and sometimes your regular cleanser just doesn’t cut it. I like to get rid of that first layer of product so that my cleansers would be more effective and deep cleaning. So in this post, I will be discussing 4 different types of makeup removers. I even include an extra makeup removal tip! So that is really 5 ways to remove your makeup.
So this post and video will only cover removal methods for regular consumer makeup products. Special effects, theatrical and other alcohol/silicone based makeup are excluded.
Check out my video on makeup removers
Details mentioned in the Makeup Removers video
- Balms/Cleansing Oils Makeup Removers
These do a great job in breaking down pigments, long wearing makeup and even sunscreen. Does this without drying the skin and can be used on all skin types.
- Sunday Riley Blue Moon Tranquility Cleansing Balm
- Pixi By Petra Nourishing Cleansing Balm
- Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Botanical Cleansing Oil
2. Micellar Water Makeup Removers
Made famous in the US by French brands. Water like consistency and actually contain mild surfactants/cleansers. Good to use if looking for a one step process
- Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micelle Solution *Makeup Artist cult fave!
- L’Oréal Micellar Cleansing Water
- Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water All in 1 Makeup Remover & Cleanser
* Not a makeup remover but a clarifying cleanser for hair! –My DevaCurl Buildup Buster Micellar Cleansing Serum
3. Makeup Wipes
My go to method of makeup removal. I have being using these for years and they are very travel friendly. Tip: when you buy your new pack of wipes, usually the top wipes feel very dry. Store the wipes upside down (i.e. the opening facing downwards). The fluid that the wipes are soaking in will travel down to top wipes because of gravity
- MAC Wipes *My go-to pick!
- Elf Makeup Remover Cleansing Cloths *My inexpensive pick!
- Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes
- Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes
4. Dual Phase/Bi Phase Makeup Removers
These are slightly different from cleansing oils as these are strictly makeup removers. Appears as two separate liquids – water-based remover and oil-based remover. Since oil and water are immiscible, they don’t mix so one layer floats on top of the other. The goal is to shake the bottle vigorously to break up the oil particles to a small enough size so that when you pour the remover out, you will get both the water remover and the oil remover on your cotton pad.
- Lancôme Bi-Facil Double Action Eye Makeup Remover
- Sephora Collection Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover
- Wet n Wild Bi-Phase Makeup Remover CVS version is no longer available
Makeup Remover Bonus Tip!
Here are some of the tools needed to effectively remove stubborn makeup
Facial Cotton Squares/Pads
Shiseido Facial Cotton *these are a best-seller!
What is your favourite makeup removal method?
If you liked this post, make sure you sign up for my email newsletter by clicking HERE! Get the latest curated makeup, haircare & skincare news and see what beauty products that I loving at the moment!
The following links are affiliate links. If you sign up using these links, I will get a small percentage of a purchase and/or referral credit. These links provide discounts or cashback, when available. There is no requirement or obligation to use these links. If you need more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
- Join Honey – use this to find discounts on sites visited joinhoney.com/ref/qpwfsu
- Ebates – use this to get cashback online or in-stores on select, qualifying purchases https://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=EGx%2B1ltzid8P9uPThgCQxA%3D%3D&eeid=29041