So last Friday was Earth Day, and slowly but surely, lots of cosmetic companies, big and small, have been embracing more natural and organic formulations. So for you earth-conscious beauties out there, here are a few brands to look out for:
- Oyin Handmade – probably my favourite, natural haircare line for women with curly, kinky or coily hair. I cannot live without the Burnt Sugar Pomade. Really. The Juices are also really good too! Still have to try their new Hair Dew.
- Karen’s Body Beautiful – Another great line based out of my old neighbourhood of Fort Greene Brooklyn. The Sweet Ambrosia is the go-to product. But I am really excited for all the new products that will be coming out this year.
- Qhemet Biologics – I think that their Amla and Olive Heavy Cream is amazing! It’s also their top seller.
- Kinky Curly – A very popular brand with products like Knot Today (my staple leave-in conditioner) and the Curling Custard (which I have YET to try, but summer is coming up so….).
- Anita Grant – love from across the pond!!! And now they have a U.S. distributor – Hairrogant. And right now they actually have a sale on the top 5 selling AG products! I would recommend the babassu shampoo bars and the Rhassoul Deep Condish.
- Aubrey Organics– available at Whole Foods and other retailers, I use their GPB conditioner as a protein conditioner and the Honeysuckle Rose conditioner as a deep moisturizer.
- SheaMoisture – Love their Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo and their body butters! Available at Target and Walgreens.