Transitioning to natural hair. It is probably one of the most discussed topics in the natural hair community. Everyone has a story. So do I. So I want to quickly discuss 5 tips for transitioning to natural hair.
But first, really quick, my natural hair story.
I was natural for most of my childhood and teenage years. My parents always made sure that my siblings and I were proud of who we were, including our skin and hair. I wore a lot of canerowed (cornrowed) styles in school and when I was about 17, I wanted to do something different. I started relaxing my hair and experimenting with colour. After being totally done with the smell of relaxers, I decided in 2008 to transition to natural hair. I had no idea what to expect, or what I was doing. I also did a lot of research and experimentation into what products made my hair happy.
So here are 5 tips that I always tell people when they ask me about transitioning. These tips help me through my journey and I hope they help you too!
Let me know what are your transitioning tips!
Transitioning to Natural Hair – Video
Transitioning to Natural Hair – Transition pics!
Transitioning to Natural Hair – 5 tips
- Be gentle – the line of demarcation between natural and relaxed hair is weak. Also, you should always be gentle to your coils!
- Hydrate! – Water and moisture are your friend! Because hydrated hair is healthy hair, apply in layers and seal with oils and butters
- Experiment – I loved this part of transitioning. The products that worked for your relaxed hair, may not work for your natural hair. I discovered black-owned natural haircare brands
- Get away from the mindset that natural hair is bad. Or hard to deal with. Or difficult.
- Accept whatever you have. Admire other hair types, but accept and love what grows out of your scalp.
Other natural hair videos
If you liked this post, make sure you sign up for my email newsletter by clicking HERE! Get the latest curated makeup, haircare & skincare news and see what beauty products that I loving at the moment!
The following links are affiliate links. If you sign up using these links, I will get a small percentage of a purchase and/or referral credit. These links provide discounts or cashback, when available. There is no requirement or obligation to use these links. If you need more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Join Honey – use this to find discounts on sites visited joinhoney.com/ref/qpwfsu
Ebates – use this to get cashback online or in-stores on select, qualifying purchases https://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=EGx%2B1ltzid8P9uPThgCQxA%3D%3D&eeid=29041