So last week I had the pleasure of attending a Bobbi Brown Master Class at Bergdorf Goodman. I took it as an opportunity to get to know the brand a little better and to potentially learn some new techniques. The class was small (about 25 people) and was lead by Ricky, who is one of Bobbi Brown’s national makeup artists.
Ricky led us through their simple 10-Step Beauty process, which is supposed to allow us to become Pretty Powerful and our own makeup artist. This process started with the foundation of all makeup application – a cleansed face. She also stressed the importance of knowing your skin type and being well-moisturized, especially in the undereye area. Well hydrated skin allows makeup to go on smoothly and also helps pump the skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
She quickly moved into the basic makeup application tutorial. A few highlights:
- Make sure to colour match for foundation, using the neck and chest as a guide. No person used the same foundation colour all year.
- Apply corrector before concealer i.e. camoflauge then highlight. Concealers should be 1-2 shades lighter than foundation. Be gentle around the eye area and apply the products with a light patting motion.
- Concealer should always be powdered to prevent creasing
- Blush and lip product should be applied before eyes are done, so that the skin could be balanced. Lip liner could be applied after lipstick/gloss as it looks more natural.
- Brush eyebrow hairs down first, fill in where hair would be with a powder, then brush hairs back up.<— I will definitely do this!
- Layer shadows, from lightest to darkest to control your level of intensity.
- Never line just the bottom lashline, must to the top as well – if you are lining the lower lashline. Liner must connect at both corners
After this tutorial, we each had our own makeup artist to do a complete makeover. My artist, Dane, was very nice and we were on the same page as to what we wanted to try i.e. coral colours. He did a great job, especially at matching my foundation. I came out to be Walnut # 8.
This was a great night, I had a lot of fun and I became better acquainted with the line. A few stand out products that I would recommend:
- The Shimmer Brick – in Nectar. Y’all know I’ve been coveting this for a long time. It’s the prettiest one they have ever brought out. Gives a soft coral glow and looks amazing on tanned and dark skin.
- Longwear Gel Eye Liner – water-resistant and comes in some amazing colours, both matte and shimmer. One of the best gel liners out there. Definitely on par with M.A.C.’s Fluidline.
- Shimmer Blush – Most are neutral or safe colours but have a great texture and layer on the skin well. The shimmer helps warm up the skin
- Pot Rouge – You know I love my Calypso Coral!!! Easy to apply as a cream blush. My new HG product, great for the summer.
Who should check this line out:
If you don’t like wearing a lot of colour – you just want a you-but-polished look. Their colour selections are mostly safe, neutrals, small pops of colour. Their colour range is not as extensive as M.A.C., MUFE or NARS but it’s great for those days that you want a soft look.
What products do you have???
[…] out my views on some of these here and […]
I have the Bronze Shimmer brick too! it is soo pretty- I am wearing it today!!
omg…that is an amazing experience!! Thank you for such an extensive post as I learned a few tips too. oh yes the shimmerbricks are soo beautiful 🙂
Yeah I had a lot of fun Amina!
WOw sounds like a really nice event@ I love bobbi brown – I really like the Shimmer Bricks!! – wa actually my first Bobbi purchase!
Hey Ashley! I love the Nectar, I also got the Bronze Shimmer Brick!! I had a lot of fun at the event!