And people here in Trinidad are getting ready for The Greatest Show on Earth!!!! People running ’round de Savannah at all hours, panmen fine tuning their Panorama pieces and there is an all-inclusive fete every Saturday and Sunday. Once of the most popular aspects of Trini Carnival is the Parade of Bands featuring ‘pretty mas’ i.e. masqueraders, mostly women, in beautiful, skimpy costumes. This is yuh time to get on!!!!! Mas camps spend all year designing and creating productions centred around a theme. There are many bands of various sizes, but three of the most popular large-sized bands are Tribe, Spice and Island People.
Over the next few weeks, I’ll be showing makeup looks and ideas, inspired by the 2010 presentations.
The first look comes from Tribe, probably the most popular mas band in the country. For real, the costumes are gorgeous and so vibrant!!!!! This will be real eye candy on the streets of Port-of-Spain!! Tribe’s 2010 presentation is entitled ‘The Secret of Silk’ which is basically paying homage to all the regions in the world that have produced this fine material for centuries. One of the sections that caught my eye was Tyrian Purple (I wonder why!!!LOL!!)
This is one of my favourites!!!!
Here is a close-up of the Frontline Large headpiece.
And this is the look that I came up with:
This is your chance to experiment with colour, play with different false lashes and use some glittery embellishments like sequins and gemstones!!
A few quick notes:
- One of the most important things is to use sunscreen. A sunburn on Ash Wednesday is no good for the biggest beach day of the year!
- If you are going to wear foundation (I really would not, it’s going to be along 2 days!), choose a primer that allows your skin to breathe but helps the foundation to say on all day long. Smashbox makes a well-known primer, that’s also waterproof.
- Also include a primer for the eye, this again helps the shadows to last, not crease with the sweat and oil and helps the colours to pop.
- Waterproof and sweatproof makeup is the way to go. Makeup For Ever has a great line of waterproof makeup including face & body foundation and their Aqua Eyes eyeliner pencils.
- NARS Duo Eyeshadow in Medieranee
- NARS Duo Eyeshadow in Jolie Poupee
- M.A.C. Eyeshadow in Vibrant Grape
- M.A.C. Eyeshadow in Hepcat
- M.A.C. Eyeshadow in Beautiful Iris
- M.A.C. Eyeshadow in Graphology
- M.A.C. Kohl Power Eyeliner in Feline
- Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner in Black Ink
- Givenchy Phenom’Eyes in Black
- NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk
- M.A.C. brushes 217, 239, 227, 224, 266, 242
- Prime the entire eye area, up to the brownbone with TFSI, using your ring finger
- Apply Milk pencil over eyelid, to help brighten the colours
- Apply the gold shade from the NARS Mediteranee from the inner lid to the mid lid, using the 224 brush
- Apply Hepcat from the mid to the outer lid using the 226 brush
- Apply Vibrant Grape over the Hepcat using the 242 brush, to deepen the colour
- Apply Graphology from the outer crease to the inner crease. Apply a heavier application to the outer crease and a lighter one towards the inner crease, using the 217. To darken the outer V, use the 226
- Using a mix of the shimmer side of Jolie Poupee and Vibrant Grape, soften the crease and blend into the browbone using the 227 brush
- For a highlight on the browbone, use Beautiful Iris and the 224 brush
- For the lower eyelid, sweep some of the shimmery purple side of Jolie Poupee along the lower lashline using the 226 brush, from the outer lid to the mid lid.
- Add some of the gold side from Mediteranee to the inner lower lashline.
- Apply Feline to the upper and lower waterlines
- Apply the black gel eyeliner using the 266 brush along the upper lashline, into a cat-eye shape
- Apply mascara to the upper and lower lashes
At this point you could add the false lashes, and embellishments. I would do a little contouring with a brown or other neutral powder and add a shimmery highlight to the cheekbones. Lastly I would use a nude, or light bronze lipgloss, to keep the rest of the face neutral.
And there you have it!!!!! Stay tuned for more looks!!!
For more pictures, visit Tribe’s website at carnivaltribe.com
All photos of costumes courtesy of Carnival Tribe